Monday, January 17, 2011

Many bean soup and triple cheese onion bread

I had some requests for the recipes...


Many bean soup (lots of variations on this, do what you like!)

2 -3 cups of any varieties of dried beans, peas, lentils, etc. The beans, soak overnight. I like to do this in the crock pot, rinse them, put in new water before turning it up to high for a few hours so the beans are at least mostly cooked. Noone likes crunchy beans. At least not that I know of. Use a variety of colors... turns out pretty. Lentils and peas add when you add everything else, but learning from experience, cook at least for a little while on high...

1 large onion, finely chopped, or equivalent amount of dried onions
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 tsp thyme (the kids always love that they're eating Time)
1 bay leaf (again, kids think this is funny to find after if I forget to take it out...)
1 can chopped tomatoes or equivalent...
1 ham hock or ham bone or other leftover ham...
8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste

Cook on low 8-10 hours until beans are tender and ham is falling off bone (or falling apart). As I said, if you precook your beans a little cook on high a little bit to let the peas and lentils catch up.

Remove the ham hock or bone from the soup, chop the meat, and return the meat to the slow cooker. Remove the bay leaf.

Serves 8-10



"Double" Cheese Onion Bread

I actually use the bread machine for this... plain breads I do by hand, bread machine lately has been for different flavored and specialty breads plus pizza dough... though lately we've doubled the batch on pizza dough, I do half in the bread machine and half in the mixer and just let rise together.

Ok, I am listing the 2 lb loaf recipe as that is what works in my bread machine. Message/email me for different measurements.

2 cups water
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
4 1/4 cups bread flour (I use some whole wheat flour)
3 tbsp minced dried onion
3/4 cup shredded cheese (we use colby jack so the kids say it's "TRIPLE" cheese bread)
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 1/4 tsp bread machine or instant yeast

Basic cycle


This bread is REALLY loved, especially by my 14 and 12 year old boys. I've made it several times since this picture was taken. We made some for a quick dinner last night to be ready when the boys (and husband) got home from a stake priesthood meeting and they ate it with tuna salad... good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment